Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Speedy Suppers: Take Two


Janet here: I have been obsessed with pasta recently, most particularly with pasta that doesn't have a single thing red saucy about it. I grew up with marinara sauce and meat sauce and I loved it for years, but now I am all about pasta that has everything BUT red sauce in it the same way that my favorite pizza does not have any red sauce at all. What is that about?

Anyway this pasta takes about 10 minutes to pull together and if you love walnuts and olives, you're going to like this. I hadn't made this before so I'm still tinkering a bit. Perhaps kalamata olives next time? Anyway, I hope you like it.

Pasta with Walnuts/Olives and Capers
serves 3

ingredients
3/4 pound pasta (I used farfalle because I like how it looks but fusilli could work too)
about 1/4 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons diced garlic (about 1 large clove)
2 heaping teaspoons capers, drained
1/2 cup black olives, drained and cut in half (pitted obviously)
3/4 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup pecorino cheese, grated
1/2 cup bread crumbs

method
Cook the pasta. While it's boiling, pour about 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a pan and saute the walnuts and garlic, stirring so the nuts don't get black and the garlic doesn't burn. Then add the bread crumbs and stir until slightly browned. Take it off the heat and add the cheese, olives and capers.

After draining the pasta, mix the whole mess together, adding perhaps some more grated cheese because when do you ever get enough cheese, and the rest of the olive oil. You can always add a little more olive oil if it seems dry.

No comments:

Post a Comment