Monday, August 30, 2010

Meatless Mondays: Heirloom Tomato Salad


Janet here: Okay, I know I'm late coming to the heirloom tomato game, but I had never tried them until putting together this little salad for Meatless Mondays. I've known about heirloom tomatoes, but figured, really, how different can they really be from "regular"tomatoes?

The answer is plenty.

There are apparently a ton of different heirloom tomatoes. I can't tell you the name of all the ones I bought here other than that the yellow one is Old German, but I can tell you without a doubt that heirloom tomatoes taste different. It's just a fact. Anyway, I served this salad with some marinated salmon and corn, and it was a lovely taste of summer. Hope you enjoy it.

By the way, if you want to find out more about Meatless Mondays, click here. The movement is growing. Spread the word!



Tomato Salad

ingredients
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons sherry vinegar
6-8 basil leaves coarsely chopped
1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese (or feta would probably work too)

method
Slice the tomatoes into 1/2 inch wedges. Mix together the olive oil, salt, sherry vinegar until well mixed. Add to the tomato wedges and mix. Add the basil leaves and fold in. Fold in the blue cheese.

Serve room temperature.

1 comment:

  1. Heirloom tomatoes are delicious, will be trying this recipe very soon! Thanks x

    ReplyDelete