Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Mini Orangey Blueberry Oatmeal Muffin Bites



Rachel here: One of my major pregnancy cravings is oranges. I like the fruit, I like the juice, I like the artificial flavor...you name it, if it tastes even remotely orangey I probably want it (and I also probably don't particularly care to share). This is odd to me because in my entire life up to this point oranges have never held much sway over my taste buds. I've never been anti-orange per say, just never been one to seek an orange out. And now, seriously, I need to eat an orange (or orange-related something) on a daily basis or I am simply just not quite satisfied. This is a deliciously strange shift in my eating patterns.

Anyway, this orange-centric eating pattern I've developed leaves me desiring new and interesting ways to bring the orange into my daily diet. I'm also trying to eat healthy so that our baby grows big and strong and whatnot (and because, generally, eating healthy really appeals to me). And so, I ventured into the kitchen and concocted my very own mini-muffin recipe to try to satisfy both of these interests.

The muffins I developed are little things and are sort of like the runt cousins of pretty, super sugary and floury muffins. They are absolutely scrumptious, though, and I've been throwing a few in my bag each morning on my way out the door to nibble on when I get a little peckish. They've really been hitting the spot. Plus, I'm always just amazed when I generate my own recipe and the food actually comes out remotely resembling what I was thinking of, so I'll admit to cherishing these little nubbins a little extra on that count.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the recipe. If orange isn't your thing you could use lime or lemon zest instead. I'm also a fan of using clementines, but I didn't have any around when I was baking. Also, know that you can go lighter on the zest depending on how strong of a citrus flavor you're looking for. Obviously, per my incessant orange cravings, I went as heavy as I dared and these are certainly quite orangey as a result.

How do you incorporate your favorite fruits into your food (besides the topnotch way of whole and raw)?

Mini Orangey Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins Bites
makes 12

Ingredients
4 T. butter
1/2 c. dark brown sugar
1/2 c. buttermilk
1 large egg
1/2 tspn. vanilla
1/4 tspn. salt
1 tspn. cinnamon
1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 c. rolled oats
1/2 tspn. baking soda
zest from 1 large orange
1 c. blueberries
demerara sugar (for tops, optional)

Method
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line your muffin tin. Beat the butter and brown sugar until fluffy. Add buttermilk, egg and vanilla and mix (this will be very wet). Add salt, cinnamon, flour, rolled oats and baking soda and mix until just combined. Fold in zest and blueberries. Fill muffin tin and sprinkle demerara sugar on top. Bake, rotating halfway through, 20-25 minutes until firm to the touch. Cool on wire rack before removing.

No comments:

Post a Comment