Thursday, March 25, 2010

Food for Thought Thursdays: The Emptying Nest



Janet here: There's an irony to starting up this food blog with Rachel this year after talking and thinking about it for at least two years: I soon will have only one person to cook for.

Rachel has been out of the house for six years now, but middle son, G, is graduating from college this May and likely (hopefully) leaving for parts and adventures unknown rather than taking up a spot on the family room couch, and youngest son, S, is graduating from high school, which means his days at the kitchen table in any regular way are numbered. So I find myself exploring the world of food and cooking and nurturing in an ever-expanding way just at the very moment that the people I'll be cooking for are evaporating. Seems just a tad ironic, don't you think?

It's been 25 years since I made a meal for two and I wonder if I'll remember how to do it. Sure, we can use the leftovers for busy nights and yes, I do cook for one of the most appreciative audiences in America (my husband, Peter, eats anything and everything and openly and loudly voices his praise, and has done so for almost 30 years), but somehow it is still a little sad. Our family is shifting; I imagine that Peter and I will be spending more time sitting at our children's tables as they gradually begin their own families, and that the times of cooking for the clan, moments I've loved and cherished and, yes, sometimes was sick of doing, are going to be come more rare. It's the natural course of things and many moments of fun with family will still be shared, but I'm slowly becoming second in command rather than the general, and the reality is that just feels a little strange.

No comments:

Post a Comment